Sunday, October 17, 2010

It's over!

Thus concludes my first show as an exhibitor at APE. It was pretty fun, and I was surprised and very pleased with people's reaction to my food zine and its related merch. When people like food, they really like food. Spoke to quite a few chefs, a farmer, a magazine editor looking for food illustrators, a writer working on a dissertation on 19th century food. SO COOL

I've gotten some great suggestions on what to draw next, as well as had some cool conversations about where to go from here. I sold more than expected, and folks took more of my business cards than I had anticipated (although I didn't run out, thankfully)! People responded most positively to 1) my buttons 2) my color prints of Midwestern Taco, Tiramisu, and Yogurt Parfait, 3) my picnic basket / 2-tiered candy dish displays.

Lots of people I knew also had tables this year, which was very exciting! Unfortunately I spent most of my time at my table. When I did attempt to explore the floor, I bought 2 expensive (for me) items, then quickly became overwhelmed with the amount of cool things to look at + my inability to buy said things. This secretly embarrassed me so much that I returned to my table without first visited all of my friends' tables. Sorry guys. I will have a better strategy next year.

If you're curious, the 2 things I bought were:
- Scott Pilgrim band poster from Hellen Jo (same one I first saw at my friend Jamie's flat in London, which was a surreal experience). She's one of my favorite local artists. (I gave her one of my zines YESSSS)
- Sketchbook by Daniela S (can't remember how to spell last name, can't get up to check right now cos my cat is asleep on my arms as i type). Amazing work from a Pixar artist, sketches of SF.

Lastly, had post-show ramen with my super great table-mate (that rhymes!) Charlene at Sapporo-Ya. So good! Even though I ended up too full for a Sophie's crepe after that. So sad!

All in all, it was a valuable and fun experience. Thanks for stopping by; I hope you guys had as good a time as I did. See you next year! :)

4 comments:

  1. Traci-

    It was really nice meeting you at APE! I thoroughly enjoyed the Taco and Tiramisu prints. Super creative and fun! Keep up the good work.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Traci- It was awesome meeting you at APE! I mentioned these sites but just in case... check out http://www.spoonflower.com/ if your interested in printing drawings on fabric. Also I found this blog a few weeks ago... http://www.theydrawandcook.com/. You should definitely send them your work cause it rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude. thanks so much for the links. i've bookmarked them both now.

    really excited to try spoonflower (i've always wanted to do prints, actually, cos i love patterns and illustrations on clothes), and you're right, i should totally send something in to theydrawandcook. have you sent anything in to them? if so, please feel free to link me to it!

    ReplyDelete